Designer Tidbits: Penny and Friends by Darlene Zimmerman

Darlene Zimmerman is definitely one of our favorite ladies in the fabric world. Her adorable 1930s inspired fabrics are always perfect for any scrappy projects, and Darlene's new Penny and Friends collection will not disappoint. Read on to learn more about her inspiration.

Q: Tell us a little about the Penny and Friends collection. What were you inspired by?
A: I was inspired by some vintage paper dolls. They were so sweet, and of course, I loved all the cute outfits! So, I thought it would be fun to see a panel with different dolls in a variety of clothing. When I was in grade school, all of the girls wore dresses to school, and these little girls remind of those days. One of my classmates was named "Penny," which is not a common name today. 
Q: How would you describe your style? 
A: Modern / Vintage Style (primarily based on designs from the 1930s era), but also a color palette and design sense that speak to the modern quilter as well as traditional quilter. My small scale designs, geometric, pastel colors, and interesting themed panels have a wide appeal among quilters. My collections are designed for every quilter. 


Q: What is your favorite part about being a designer?
A: Playing with fabric of course! Although I enjoy all the aspects of designing fabric. 

Q: What projects have you made with Penny and Friends
A: You can find my free project quilt made with Penny and Friends on the Robert Kaufman website. At Spring Market, some darling little girl dresses were displayed with the collection and a cute girl and boy bear dressed in clothes made with the collection. Just a hint - watch more from Penny next year!

Labels: ,