Simple Whatnots with Kim Diehl


Welcome to the Jolly Jabber! Kim Diehl is back with her brand new Second Annual Simple Whatnots Club that features six little quilts designed with traditional tried-and-true blocks and stitched from her Heritage Hollow collection. Here to tell us more about the club is Kim Diehl herself, on the Jolly Jabber!

Q: Tell us a little about the Second Annual Simple Whatnots Club

Kim: The idea behind the Simple Whatnots quilts is to show a single collection in a scrappy look. This second go-round is a continuation of my Simple Whatnots Club which features traditional blocks that I love in smaller versions. There are six main quilts and also an alternate applique version, patchwork version and a bonus 7th pattern in the program. 
Q: What is your design process when beginning the project?

Kim: When starting any of my quilts, I draw from traditional, tried and true designs that our great grandmothers use, and I give them a modern twist. I like to combine two traditional blocks and mold them together. I carry my sketchpad everywhere that I go and sketch my ideas on different blocks. 

Q: When you designed your quilt blocks, did you have a fabric collection in mind?

Kim:  I designed these blocks using my new Heritage Hollow collection. When designing my fabrics, I choose from a variety of scales and always have a core group of colors as a base. All of my fabrics have a sense of continuity and they are also interchangeable. 
Q: Do you have a favorite quilt in the Second Annual Simple Whatnots Club?

Kim: Oh gosh! That is a tough question but I would have to say the Honey Comb. I love how the pieced hexies create a honeycomb design.
The Simple Whatnots quilt club starts January 2015 and spots are limited, so if you love these mini quilts, don't forget to sign up for Kim's Simple Whatnots Club at our shop! 

Labels: ,